You know. . . with the typewriters and stuff. It's a metaphor. . . . or maybe an analogy. . . or is it allegory? Regardless, you can be certain there's a whole host of stuff being typed.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Chicken Choices

I'm going to say it now, where there will be a public record of it: I will never EVER try McDonald's new "Chicken Selects" voluntarily.

First of all, I feel like punishing McDonald's for those obnoxious "stay away from my chicken selects" commercials (specifically the office ones, although the whole lot of 'em should be burned). If I ever meet the actor who starred in those commercials I will knock him flat out, I kid you not. He took a scripted role that was already bordering on violence inducing annoyance and exacerbated the issue with his poorly feined love for those amorphous lumps of "chicken". I've seen people pretending to be bad actorts who are better actors than him.

Aside from the bad acting, the premise of the commercials is rediculous. Who honestly defends their fast food products with such vigor? First of all, if you work in an office environment where people regularly steal your lunch, you've got a separate problem (one that involves a violent resolution IMHO, nothing deserves a beat down like stealing someone else's food). Second, if you're going to proclaim publicly that everyone should stay away from them, you can be damn sure everyone is going to try to take them from you. I know that in my office environment you'd be likely to find all of your 'oh so important' chicken selects tacked to the ceiling tiles.

However, while the commercials were enough to turn me off to MickyD's new synthetic food product, I have a more sufficient (and paranoid) reason for avoiding them. Quite frankly, the incessant tv commercials, ad campaigns, and other publicity work for the 'selects' has me thinking there's something nefariously wrong with them. Have you ever seen an ad campaign that was so actively pushed for a single food product? I've certainly seen campaigns for brands, restaurants, and other similar large scale items with this level of activity. . . . I've also seen ad campaigns for new food products at your favorite chain restaurant. . . . . but never have I seen this kind of large scale marketing for something that is only one item on what is a relatively large array of menu selections. In other words, I think they're putting something in the chicken selects.

What the nature is of the addition, I do not know. However, I feel that it is either something that is in some way rediculously addicting (a one shot and you're hooked type of item), or some sort of "seed" item that will eventually allow McD's to turn you into a mindless consumer zombie at some point. The free trial campaign only provides further credence to both of these theories.

As of yet, I do not know of any personal friends who have actually consumed any of these items and I have therefore been unable to ascertain which of the above theories is more likely. I do know that if one of them ever does turn into some sort of drooling 'selects' zombie, I'll be the first to provide the merciful shotgun blast to the head. It's the least I can do as a good friend.

22 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

They're tasty! I had them lunch! I'm having them for dinner! You should too! First box is free!

5:28 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

"sort of 'seed' item that will eventually allow McD's to turn you into a mindless consumer zombie at some point."

At some point? That freakin' "I'm lovin' it" song has worked its way into my daily speech. Sometimes, I'll just say "and the firemen came and I was lovin' it" and then I feel very, very dirty because McDonalds is in my brain, no matter how hard I resist them and Justin Timberlake.

9:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, you be paranoid.

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Tim said...

So - I tried out the chicken tenders..

They are pretty big - best description IMHO is that they kinda taste like stale krispy KFC breast pieces. They are smaller than that, but much larger than your average mcnugget. Very breaded. Not much to really get excited about - I'd rather have the crispy chicken sandwich if I was going to have any kind of chicken from them.

5:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will
I discovered your blog, Chicken Choices today while doing some research for Natural Supplements. It is very interesting. I am looking for material on Natural Supplements and your site came up. It gives food for thought. Thank you for making it available.
Mable

10:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on as seen on tv products I somehow ended up on your page. As your Chicken Choices is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about as seen on tv products, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

7:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on ionic breeze I somehow ended up on your page. As your Chicken Choices is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about ionic breeze, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on ionic breeze, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about ionic breeze.

2:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Will, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on ionic breeze I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for ionic breeze. Should the need ever arise where you need information on ionic breeze then drop by for a look.

7:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on ionic breeze, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about ionic breeze.

1:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on hylexin I somehow ended up on your page. As your Chicken Choices is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about hylexin, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on as seen on tv items, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about as seen on tv items.

12:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Will, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for . Should the need ever arise where you need information on then drop by for a look.

9:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Will, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on as seen on tv items I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv items. Should the need ever arise where you need information on as seen on tv items then drop by for a look.

8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will...Wow! While I was searching for info on as seen on tv stores I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv stores. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about as seen on tv stores.

9:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on hylexin when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for hylexin. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about hylexin at the site above.

5:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Will, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on as seen on tv products I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv products. Should the need ever arise where you need information on as seen on tv products then drop by for a look.

2:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on as seen on tv stores I somehow ended up on your page. As your Chicken Choices is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about as seen on tv stores, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

9:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Will, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on as seen on tv products I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for as seen on tv products. Should the need ever arise where you need information on as seen on tv products then drop by for a look.

12:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on as seen on tv stores when I found your page. Your site describing Chicken Choices is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on as seen on tv stores then drop by the site above and check it out.

4:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will, you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on ionic breeze when I found your page. Your site describing Chicken Choices is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on ionic breeze then drop by the site above and check it out.

11:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Will...Wow! While I was searching for info on hylexin I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for hylexin. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about hylexin.

10:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home