You know. . . with the typewriters and stuff. It's a metaphor. . . . or maybe an analogy. . . or is it allegory? Regardless, you can be certain there's a whole host of stuff being typed.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Random Restaurant Generator

I'm a geek. While sometimes I try to hide the fact under fancy clothes and proper hygiene, the truth rears it's ugly head from time to time. The following is an example of one such instance of letting my geek flag fly:

So just last night Kerri and I ran into a problem most normal relationships have: the restaurant problem. Now if you have ever tried to go out to eat with other people (not necessarily just a S.O.) you've probably run into this problem before. In fact, the only people I can see not having this problem are (A) People in a master/slave relationship, (B) Clones (although that one's iffy), or (C) members of the borg.

The restaurant problem usually follows one of two forms. Type I is when no one can agree on where to go. The tendency for a Type I problem increases exponentially with the number of people in the group (ironically enough, so does the probability of a homicide as a result). Type II is when no one is willing to pick where to go. Kerri and I most often experience Type II issues, as I expect most couples do. It's a combination of (A) not wanting to step on your partner's toes, and (B) wanting the other person to pick what they want.

Now, while Type I is certainly the most potentially destructive type of problem, Type II creates it's own list of problems. Couples have been known to starve to death because neither individual is willing to make a final decision as to where to eat. Sure, everyone will list possible places to eat, but no one will list what their actual choice is.

Enter the geek solution. I decided that the best way for us to make a decision was simply for us not to decide. I remembered that Excel had a random number generator, perfect for selecting from a list of inputs. Due to my mad Excel skills (it's probably how I do 75% of my work under normal circumstances), I whipped up a (nicely formatted) sheet that could randomly select from a manually entered list of restaurants. We even later came up with ways to segment the list (Bad, Healthy, Formal, Informal) depending on what we feel like eating.

Now, whenever we can't decide (which is pretty much whenever we decide on going out), we consult the list. We each get one chance to re-roll, but after that, the decision is final

So good bye Type II. . .. my geek powers have proven too much for thee. Now on to the next issue: the "What Should We Do Tonight" problem. Excel spreadsheet no. 2 is on its way.

12 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

DOOOOOORK! But I just had that problem yesterday and it took me most of Connecticut to figure out where the hell to eat dinner in Rhode Island. I am glad that you've got a solution figured out so the domestic tranquility can be preserved.

4:22 PM

 
Blogger Tim said...

Yikes.

How about just making the list of restaurants blank .MP3 files, and then using itunes to "party shuffle" them. You can rate each MP3 file with 1 to 5 stars, and have it "play" higher rated ones more often?

Or you could just rotate where you go in your head. Seems to work okay for us over here. Then again, you probably have a larger list of restaurants and types of food to choose from.

2:39 AM

 
Blogger Will said...

Any system that involves using iTunes is WAY too hip a solution for me. Your method has elements of both trendy (using iTunes) and geeky (making blank .MP3 files) which I feel would be like the meeting of antimatter with matter. I fear your system (if ever implemented) would result in the destruction of the entire universe. In other words. . . time to experiment!

8:58 AM

 
Blogger Tim said...

That's me. The intersection of hip and geek!

1:17 PM

 
Blogger Will said...

Beholdeth, The destroyer of worldes!

6:22 PM

 
Blogger Tim said...

Your blog bores me. I require more entries!

12:43 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a new bloger and just rambled through a zillion other blogs. This one is the first I felt worth answering. I love the Excell random choice idea!!! Great for good relations.
I'm afraid I'm the control freek in our relationsip and would not hesitate to mention the restaurant I want most to visit. I guess after 42 years, my husband is a willing follower, as long as the place has red meat on the menu!!
Eat Happy!

2:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you possibly send that to me? It sounds fabulous!@!!

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter and I have just finished half an hour of
"Where do you want to eat?"
"I don't care. Where do you want to eat?"
"Chinese?"
"No, not Chinese."
"Mexican?"
"No, not Mexican."
"So, where do you want to eat?"
"I don't care."

Which led me to google "random restaurant generator" and led me to your blog. I would never have thought of excel.

Alex Luken

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should upload the excel file .... My wife and I can't decide where to eat lunch today.

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

You are my hero.

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Jacqueline said...

wish someone would make one of these for richmond va.

7:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home